The Pololu Wixel is a general-purpose programmable module featuring a 2.4 GHz radio and USB. The Wixel is based on the CC2511F32 microcontroller from Texas Instruments, which has an integrated radio transceiver, 32 KB of flash memory, 4 KB of RAM, and a full-speed USB interface. A total of 15 general-purpose I/O lines are available, including 6 analog inputs, and the 0.1" pin spacing makes the Wixel easy to use with breadboards and perfboards. These features give you three main ways to use this general-purpose module:
- Directly connect the Wixel to a PC to create a wireless USB dongle.
- Add USB connectivity to your project via the Wixel.
- Add wireless capabilities to a remote, self-powered device.
A single Wixel can be used as a computer-interface device, such as a USB-to-serial adapter, and it can even serve as the main controller for your system. Connecting the Wixel to a computer requires a USB A to Mini-B cable or a USB A to Mini-B adapter(not included). Two or more modules are required to take advantage of the Wixel’s wireless capabilities. To help you get started with wireless communication, we offer acombination deal that includes two Wixels and a USB A to mini-B cable.
The Wixel features a built-in USB bootloader that can be used in conjunction with our free Wixel Configuration Utility software to upload custom programs or precompiled, open-source apps to the Wixel (no external programmer is required). Our growing selection of free apps lets you turn the Wixel into whatever you need for your current project. No programming experience or compiler software is required to use these apps: simply download a different app to reuse the Wixel in your next project! We plan to release additional apps in the future for wireless AVR programming, wireless sensing, wireless motor driver interfaces, and more. Read more about the available apps…
Advanced users can modify apps to suit the needs of their specific projects, and the apps serve as examples for programming the CC2511. The Pololu Wixel SDK Repository on GitHub is the central location for obtaining source code and sharing modifications with the community.
- Full-speed USB
- 2.4 GHz Radio with 256 available channels that can be configured dynamically
- Programmable through USB bootloader (no external programmer required)
- Pre-compiled, open-source apps available
- Wixel SDK for developing your own applications in C using open source tools and libraries
- 0.1" pin spacing (compatible with standard breadboards and 0.1" perfboards)
- 3 indicator LEDs
- 15 user I/O lines, featuring 6 analog inputs, 2 USARTs (for serial or SPI), and 7 timer channels (capable of PWM)
- 4 KB of RAM and 29 KB of application program memory (flash)
- Comprehensive user’s guide
- Operating voltage: 2.7 – 6.5 V
- Operating current: up to approximately 30 mA (can get down to ~100 µA when in sleep mode)
- Frequency: 2400 – 2483.5 MHz
- Range: approximately 50 feet (under typical conditions indoors)
- Bit rate: programmable, up to 350 kbps
- Effective data rate: up to 10 KB/s
- Size: 0.7" × 1.5"
- Weight without header pins installed: 3.2 g